December 31, 2011

REVIEW: The Death Cure by James Dashner

*WARNING- This Review may contain spoilers to previous books in the Maze Runner Trilogy*

Title: The Death Cure (Maze Runner #3)
Author: James Dashner
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Published: 11 October 2011
Format: 1st; Hardcover: 325 pages
Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test. 

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?


My Review:
Wow! James Dashner really knows how to write a book to end a trilogy. The Death Cure is probably my favorite of the three which is unusual for me because I tend to like the first book the best. 



The Death Cure starts a few weeks later from the end of The Scorch Trials. And in this final book, we see Thomas finally fight back against WICKED. Thomas and his friends decide to longer become the pawns that they were during the Trials. This time they want out. 



I have to say the summary/synopsis of this book does it no justice. This books is more than Thomas getting his memories back or the stupid cure for the Flare. It’s about survival and finally fighting back to get the freedom Thomas and his friends more than deserves. This is a book about rebellion and redemption and believing in something so strongly you have to act. 



When I decided to start this, I was ready to just dive into this book and just get it over with. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the first two books, but The Death Cure made this trilogy way better. There was no stopping me from devouring this book until the very end. It was certainly a big improvement from The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials. This book was everything I hoped for and more. Dashner completely redeemed this trilogy in my eyes and blew me away. I thought The Death Cure contained the perfect amount of action and adventure that kept me more than riveted page after page. The book was so fast-paced I didn’t think I could read it fast enough. It’s the type of book you just had to keep reading because you had to know what happens next. Each chapter just got better and better. Before you know it you’re down to the last chapter, wondering what the heck happened! 



The Death Cure has twice the excitement and thrill of the first two books combined. There is more danger, more threats and more Cranks for one person to handle. This book will definitely have you squirming in your seat! There’s so much more to this book that one can hope for!

 

What I thought made this book the best was because I finally got to find out what was really going on with the Gladers, Group B and WICKED. This book is the gold mine of information for the whole trilogy. While reading this book, light bulb after light bulb goes on. I just finally get it! The truth to it all is finally revealed in these 324 pages.

 

I loved how this book evoked different emotions from me. At one point I would find myself mad at WICKED, then I would be laughing at character interactions and then suddenly scared half my wits that something terrible is about to happen. I also found myself sadden and heart-broken at the certain turn of events and at the death of certain people. For sure, this book was unpredictably good. I never expected such things to happen at certain points and I was shocked many many times. I probably looked like a freak show with the amount of times my eyes bulged from the shock of what was going on. Dashner really knows how to write an attack scene. 



I can’t say that I connected to any of the characters in this book. But I did like Thomas more in this one. I was on his side all the way. I couldn’t have related to him more than in this book. I found him to be a great leader, a strong person, very determined and so driven. He really thought things through. Although times were tough, I believed he made the right choices in the end. Choices that were best for himself and his friends. He really took initiative in this one. He stepped up to a whole different level. What I like most about Thomas is his unwavering loyalty. Thats why I thought this book was probably much more heart-wrenching than the other two. You really feel Thomas’s pain; physically and emotionally. He cares so much, so in turn it hurts twice as much. 



In my opinion, this book is driven by plot more than character development. Although this is the case, I still loved it. I believed Dashner put a well thought out book to end the trilogy. I still don’t know how I feel about the ending, but I thought it was a perfect resolution, if any with a type of story like this. There was a part that left me very very sad but I had a feeling that something like that would go down. I just denied it throughout the whole book. 

I had some questions still left unanswered and of course I wished that things were a little bit different, but I have to say this book does more than satisfy the trilogy as a whole. Dashner does not disappoint and he has surpassed my expectations of this book  far more than I could ever comprehend. I had a heck of a good time reading this one.



My Rating: 5 of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! You rock :] <3