November 14, 2011

REVIEW: Possess by Gretchen McNeil

Title: Possess
Author: Gretchen McNeil
Publisher: Balzer + Bray (HarperCollins)
Published Date: 23 August 2011
Edition: 1st; Hardcover: 384 pages
Fifteen-year-old Bridget Liu just wants to be left alone: by her mom, by the cute son of a local police sergeant, and by the eerie voices she can suddenly and inexplicably hear. Unfortunately for Bridget, it turns out the voices are demons – and Bridget has the rare ability to banish them back to whatever hell they came from. 
Terrified to tell people about her new power, Bridget confides in a local priest who enlists her help in increasingly dangerous cases of demonic possession. But just as she is starting to come to terms with her new power, Bridget receives a startling message from one of the demons. Now Bridget must unlock the secret to the demons' plan before someone close to her winds up dead – or worse, the human vessel of a demon king*


Just finished Possess today and I couldn't wait to write up a review. This review was originally posted from my Goodreads page.


My Review:
In Possess, we meet 15 year old Bridget Liu. She seems like an ordinary girl attending Catholic school, but she is so much more. Bridget can communicate with demons. Even more shocking, she can banish them back to the darkness of Hell where they belong. (how awesome is that?!)

I have to say that I have never ever read a book like this before. You see, I am a complete sucker for horror stories of any kind. I love scary stuff. So when I stumbled upon this book, read about it, I knew I HAD to read it cover to cover. Now that I have finished it, I can tell you that I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK.
Gretchen McNeil is a freaking genius. Her writing just flows from the pages. Possess is so fast paced, so devouring I had to literally force myself to slow down and savor the book. Her writing is so smooth, so easily-read that I didn't have any trouble what so ever getting into the book. There was not a single slow or boring moment in Possess. Whatever Gretchen is doing, however she is writing, I am loving it through and through.

Main character and heroine, Bridget, is one kickass 15 year old. And I freaking love her to death. She's so quirky, fun, smart and tough. She has a strong voice, strong personality and is completely likable. She owns the story. She doesn't let anyone step all over her. She bleeds confidence, even if she has her doubts. She can communicate with demons, and although she does get scared, she faces it and this is just where she shines with strength. Bridget is the whole package, guys. She is definitely one of my favorite heroines for sure. I might add, Bridget says a line at the very end of Chapter 36 that just completely sold me. While reading that line, all I could think about was how much I loved her and how much she rocks!
I really really thought this was a fantastic book. I was creeped out by a lot of Bridget's scenes with demons. but in a good way. I love how Gretchen McNeil was able to freak me out. I love the demon side to the book. So refreshing from other paranormal books. What I loved most, was the twists and the hint of mystery. I was so interested in Bridget, I kept asking myself: 'who is she? what is she?' Also, I never expected certain events in the book to happen. I was always surprised. And I didn't know which characters to trust.

Oh, and the romance in the book. *sigh* You will love Matt Quinn. You will love his interactions with Bridget. I couldn't help but smile, laugh and just swoon all over their scenes together. I couldn't help but squeal with delight!

Overall, Possess is a must-read. You won't be able to put it down. The story will devour you and keep you within its clutches. You'll think twice about reading this book late into the night, but won't be able to stop yourself no matter how scary it is! This book will creep you out, maybe even make your skin crawl. It'll make you laugh and smile ear to ear, especially the Bridget and Matt scenes. It will bring you to your knees, begging for more!

I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone. Don't wait and pick this book up now!
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars for Possess

*Summary from Possess Goodreads Page.

Possess trailer!



Learn more about Gretchen McNeil and Possess at her Website.
Follow Gretchen McNeil on Twitter.
Follow her Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! You rock :] <3